Week 33

Sunday,  May 30th 2010
Mint Oreo Brownies

We went camping the weekend of May 23rd, So we didn't cook last week. Since summer is coming and we will be out of town a lot, I am just counting the weeks we cook. It will definitely end up taking us longer than we originally planned, but I think it will be better than skipping all the weeks we are gone.

We were invited to dinner by our good friends, so we only made a dessert that day. I found a recipe off of another blog actually. I typed in Mint Oreo Brownies and this blog came up. Her stuff looked good, I should look for other recipes on there.   I had mint oreo's and I've always wanted a recipe combing them with my love, brownies. They looked too good to pass up.  So we ventured them with three guests of our own ( one is not pictured-- she fell asleep). Our good friends kids were with us that weekend while their parents were tiling the house they were moving into--sniff sniff. We have had a series of good friends move to other parts of the valley all within the last year or so. We only have a couple close friends left. Anyway...  I don't want to write about it, it makes me sad thinking about it. The kids had a great time cooking together....




Look at all that sugar. I didn't quite process the THREE cups of sugar it called for when I picked the recipe!





Beautiful Helper







A "Wisk"--- vocabulary lesson





Isabel makes the funniest faces sometimes.







MMM, oreos --an Achilles heal of mine. Which is why I don't buy them. It's too difficult to resist dipping and eating a whole row.  (actually I think these might be their knock off--Tuxedos...still good)






They all did a great job taking turns












                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
Tasting--the best part!








On trick I learned that I am embarrased to admit, I've never tried before. The recipe called for lining the pan with foil. Which allowed me to lift them out of the pan even while still very warm and cut them neatly. I have always had a hard time serving brownies without them look mangled--not anymore.



After our guests left we went to eat with our friend's house. They served the yummiest grilled pizza I have ever tasted. It had, pesto, tomatoes, and mozarella cheese and parm. I have never grilled pizza before, but now I don't ever want to make it any other way. The smokey flavor is to die for.  

Since that night, I made my own attempt, I was pleasantly surprised that despite the MANY, and I mean MANY, blunders I made-- it still tasted good. That sunday turned out to be a day of learning new cooking tricks. It's wonderful to learn new things-- even simple ones.


Mint Oreo Brownies

Ingrediants

•1 cup butter
•6 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
•3 cups sugar
•1/2 tsp salt
•2 teaspoons vanilla extract
•4 large eggs, room temperature
•1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
•1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
•3 cups roughly chopped peppermint oreo-type cookies (approx 18)


Directions
1.- Preheat oven to 350F.
2.Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, and grease lightly.
3.In a medium-large saucepan over low heat, melt together butter and chocolate, stirring occasionally.
4.Whisk in sugar, salt and vanilla, then turn off heat.
5.Whisk in eggs one at a time, waiting until each is fully incorporated before adding the next.
6.Stir in flour and cocoa powder until mixture is uniform.
7.Stir in peppermint oreo cookies and pour batter into prepared pan.
8.Crush 3-4 additional cookies finely and sprinkle on top of batter, if desired.
9.Bake for about 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs, but not coated with batter.

10.Cool brownies in pan for about 20 minutes, then lift brownies in the foil out of the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.
 
Review
 
These were perfect and chewy little sugar bombs.  I will have to make these when I need to bring them to a social gathering in which I can share the calories, I had a hard time resisting the ones left in my house. Definite thumbs up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment